Willow (2 yr old) came to me outside Friday morning, after having eaten a
normal breakfast and acting absolutely herself ... she laid beside me as I
planted a Trumpet Vine and I didn't think anything was abnormal until I heard unusual
breathing ... I spoke to her and she put her head down ... I jumped to her,
saying her name over and over ... I picked up her head and she vomited her
partially digested breakfast x2 ... she lost consciousness and I ran for a snow-sled to
get her to the car ... she was unresponsive when we took her by stretcher into
the Vet Clinic (5 min away) ... she came awake after IV fluids, but was truly in shock (OMG ... shades
of loosing Lyric 2 yrs ago) ... she then started to oooze bloody liquid stool
... Ah Ha, finally a diagnosis Hemorrhagic Gastritis ? due to toxin ingestion
(source unknown, as she's a great grass and small stone eater!)
 |
| Comes Awake at Vet Clinic! |
About 2 hrs later, they
wanted to transfer her to either Concord or Greenfield Emergency Clinics for continuous IV therapy
and 24 hour observation ... I chose to take her home and do all that myself ...
they gave her IV anti-emetic & anti-spasmodic with directions to the 24hr
Emergency referral facility if needed during the night ... lab-work & x-rays
were essentially normal (some levels reflecting her shocky state)
 |
| Home on Cage Rest With IV Fluids! |
4 liters of IV fluid infusion later,
with a normal blood count, able to go out to "pee" under her own steam, and no more blood in her diarrhea stool, she is able to take water by mouth and tolerate small 1/2 cup bland meals of chicken/rice diet every 3 hours on Saturday ... Willow is thankfully still with us,
is wagging her tail and once again has that sweet glimmer in her
eyes ... sleeping alot and not quite up to usual play yet ... Emma & Sutter seem to be very understanding and respecting her rest needs :o)
 |
| Resting Comfortably :o) |
 |
| Where Nervous Mom Napped ! |
 |
| 48hrs Later Relaxing Outside ;o) |
 |
| Snuggle Bear from Gramee Jean ;o) |
Plan:
- Close supervision outside (watching her like a hawk!!!)
- Progression to her normal kibble diet (started Monday morning)
- Repeat bloodwork on Wednesday
- Begin the day with a piece of bread and 1/2 banana to discourage grass eating in am!
- Introduce pumpkin and veggies to her diet, hopefully to add fiber and discourage need to eat grass during the day (hope it works) !!!
- Slow return to usual activities, as she dictates!
 |
Beautiful Blooms to Welcome Willow Home ;o)
|
UPDATE: 96 hours into recovery
 |
| Our Sister is Back! |
 |
| I am Ready to Swim! |
 |
| I only took a "tiny" swim ;o) |
 |
| Willow, Emma, Sutter hike again on day #5 |
CAN ONLY HAVE LOVE for THIS VERY SWEET GIRL WHO GIVES ALL HER LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY ;o))
No comments:
Post a Comment